Monday, March 24, 2014

Spring Plants Poisonous to Dogs

Some spring plants may be poisonous to dogs in spring. Dogs like to eat plants because they may crave greens or because they are curious or bored. Dogs will sniff, chew and eat almost anything, especially when they are puppies. What does a pet-loving gardener need to know about plants poisonous to dogs? These 9 plants are among the most poisonous to dogs:

*1 Grapes -It is said that grapes are poisonous to dogs. How they are toxic is not known, however as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be poisonous to dogs. Raisins are much more concentrated and that is why are more dangerous. Grapes cause kidney failure in dogs if it gets inside their system. After the kidney fails, the dog is naturally unable to urinate and the situation turns serious soon if not treated quickly. The color of the grapes is irrelevant, both dark and green grapes are poisonous to dogs . If large amounts of grapes are ingested by the dog, symptoms like diarrhea and vomiting can be observed. Activated charcoal will absorb the toxins in the dog’s body, so it should be given to the dog. Rush to your vet as soon as the symptoms are seen.

*2. Mushrooms. Dogs and mushrooms don’t mix. These fungi can contain a variety of different substances that can be poisonous to dogs. They affect an animal’s gastrointestinal tract, nervous system, kidney, liver and even their red blood. They shouldn’t eat the ones that grow wild in your yard. This can make them really sick and could even result in death. If you see your dog eat a mushroom – induce vomiting immediately. Use a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide and get it out of dog’s system.. It could save life.

*3. Lilies. The peace lily, calla lily, amaryllis, lily of the valley, autumn crocus are all poisonous to dogs. They contain oxalic acid, which is poisonous to dogs, cats and rabbits (probably others too). The most dangerous part is the root. The toxins cause burning in the mouth and throat, nausea and vomiting, depression and tremors.

*4. Azalea. Azalea plants are poisonous to dogs. They contain toxic substances known as grayanotoxins. These toxins can cause drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, and even a depression of the central nervous system. Severe poisoning from azaleas can lead to coma and death caused by cardiovascular collapse.

*5. Castor bean. The poisonous ingredient in Castor beans is called ricin. Ricin is a highly toxic protein that can cause drooling, vomiting, severe abdominal pain, excessive thirst, loss of appetite, and weakness. Severe poisoning from Castor beans can cause muscle twitching, seizures, tremors, dehydration, coma, and even death.

*6. Daffodils. The bulbs are the most dangerous part of the plant.They contain poisonous alkaloids that can cause vomiting, excessive salivation, diarrhea, convulsions, tremors and heart problems. The lethal dose can be as little as just one bulb!

*7. Chrysanthemum. These flowers contain something called pyrethrins that if eaten can cause diarrhea, drooling, and vomiting. If enough of the plant is consumed, it can cause depression and loss of coordination.

*8. Onions and Garlic.They contain the toxic ingredients sulfoxides and disulfides can damage red blood cells and lead to anemia. Onions are more of a danger. All forms of onion can be a problem including dehydrated onions, raw onions, cooked onions and table scraps containing cooked onions and/or garlic.

*9. Morning Glory This annual climbing plant contains 4 toxic chemicals which cause hallucinations, disorientation and diarrhea. The seeds of the morning glory have the potential to be the most poisonous to dogs.

*10. Christmas Tree Pine Needles. Pine needles are not considered poisonous to dogs.But they can be irritating to the mouth and stomachs of dogs. The needles can puncture stomach and intestines. Many dogs will vomit after eating the needles. If you already have some of these plants poisonous to dogs, consider creating a fenced-in run to keep your dog away from your gardens. Wheat grass and catnip are not the plants that are poisonous to dogs. They are healthy and even recommended, so you may grow these in the garden for your dog.

 Source: Author: Polly – Organic Gardener
http://yourorganicgardeningblog.com/growing-spring-dangers-plants-poisonous-to-dogs/ 

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Christmas Pet Safety

“My pet would never eat food off the table!”
“My pet would never knock over the Christmas tree!”
“My pet would never bite someone!”

We all know our pets pretty well, but what we don’t always realize is that stress can make anybody do crazy things! When you have holiday guests or flashing Christmas lights or loud holiday music—or all of the above—at your house all at once, your pet may get stressed and frustrated, causing them to act out in unexpected ways. Most pet accidents are met with the statement, “He’s never done anything like that before!”


We recommend always making sure that your pet has a safe place to sit and relax during your holidays parties. Just like some people, pets need to get away from the action and de-stress, but most of the time they don’t know how to ask for their space. If your pet is comfortable in their crate, we recommend moving it into a quiet room and letting them spend some time resting during your holiday get-togethers. Your pet will be happier, and by extension, you and your guests will be happier! And holiday disasters will be prevented.  

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

November is National Senior Pet Month.

November is National Senior Pet Month.  Whether you have a senior pet or have plans to adopt one, we can provide you with information on how best to care of your senior pet.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Make Sure They Can Get Home: Check Your Pet's Microchip

Is your pet's microchip up-to-date? If your pet were lost, would an animal hospital or shelter be able to contact you once your pet was found?

It's important to get your pet microchipped; but it's just as important to make sure that microchip contains the correct information in order for your four-legged friend to get home.
That's why the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) and the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) are teaming up to encourage pet owners to update their pet's microchip information on National Check the Chip Day, Aug. 15.
Almost 9.6 million pets are euthanized every year because their owners can't be found, according to the American Humane Association. While tags and collars are important, microchipping is a valuable method because the microchip won't wear out, tear, slip off or become lost.
How does a microchip work?
The microchip, which is about the size of a grain of rice, is injected by a veterinarian or veterinary technician just beneath your pet's skin in the area between the shoulder blades. This is usually done without anesthesia, and the experience can be compared to getting a vaccination.
Each microchip has a unique registration number that is entered into a database or registry, and is associated with your name and contact information. If your lost dog or cat is found by an animal hospital, shelter or humane society, they will use a microchip scanner to read the number and contact the registry to get your information.
Make sure you can be found, too
While it may be comforting to know the microchip won't get lost or damaged, and that it will probably last the pet's lifetime, the microchip is useless if you're not updating your contact information with the registry. If your pet has been microchipped, keep the documentation paperwork so you can find the contact information for the registry. If you don't have the documentation paperwork, contact the veterinarian or shelter where the chip was implanted.
Keep in mind there are more than a dozen companies that maintain databases of chip ID numbers in the U.S. By using AAHA's Universal Pet Microchip Lookup at petmicrochiplookup.org, you can locate the registry for your chip by entering the microchip ID number. If you don't have your pet's microchip ID number, have a veterinarian scan it and give it to you.
Only about 17% of lost dogs and 2% of lost cats ever find their way back to their owners. Prevent the heartache and ensure your pet has an up-to-date microchip.


Originally published by Healthy Pet.